The Lockup and John Paynter Gallery
The John Paynter Gallery is a small contemporary gallery situated inside the lockup, which served as the Newcastle Police Station from 1861 until its closure and relocation to Church Street in 1982. The lock-up is situated in Hunter Street, between Watt and Bolton streets, in the historic east end of Newcastle.
The John Paynter Gallery opened in memory of the late John Paynter, architect, planner and conservationist who contributed so much to the development of this heritage building, formerly known as the Hunter Heritage Centre, and renamed the lockup in September 2006.
The Gallery is an artist run space, giving established and emerging artists of the Hunter an opportunity to exhibit in a professional space. It also aims to give artists support in the development of their professional practice, working both in solo and/or group exhibitions.
This has given rise over the years to innovative art of a high standard being exhibited in the gallery by painters, printmakers, photographers, sculptors, fibre, performance and installation artists.
On the western side of the building, the old lock-up of the former Newcastle Police Station which housed the male prisoners has been preserved and now functions as the lock-up Museum. The former central site of the lock-up kitchen has been converted into the Gallery and the two the women’s cells on the eastern side of it, are now also part of the gallery and offer artists the opportunity to use them for installations.
Location: 90 Hunter Street, Newcastle
Gallery Hours: Weds – Thurs – 10am – 4pm, Fri – Sun – 10am – 5pm
Phone: 02 4925 2265