Newcastle Art Space
Newcastle Art Space is an artist-run, non profit organisation
Newcastle Art Space came to fruition through the dedication of a working committee, community initiatives fund-raising activities including an art auction, with works donated by over 80 local artists, as well as developing links with Newcastle business enterprise. For example Suters Architects redesigned the former studio spaces into a professional, functional exhibition space.
Situated within the Newcastle Community Arts Centre, trading as the Newcastle Art Space, NAS is preparing for the 2008 NEAP. NAS represents a need in the Newcastle market for non-commercial exhibition space, in order to reach a diversity of emerging and established artists, and assist in their learning and development. The artists are not charged commission, but pay for the rental of the gallery. The NAS provides professional assistance with marketing, curatorial and administrative concerns.
NAS co-ordinates and hosts the Newcastle Emerging Artist Prize (NEAP).
Newcastle Art Space aims to:
- Provide accessible, flexible, functional and professional exhibition space for all visual artists, both emerging and professional, at a low cost with commission-free sales of artwork
- ensure that exhibitors are/ become members or tenants of the Newcastle Community Arts Centre
- Forge strategic links with other non-profit and arts orientated organisations, as well as local business partnerships
- Provide an Annual Emerging Artist Prize including sponsorship, coordination and hosting of event, as well as strategic planning for growth of event
- Increase the gallery profile through diverse skills of Committee membership, and attaining membership to other artist-run / regional galleries
246 Parry Street, Newcastle West
Phone: 02 4940 8066
Fax:02 4962 3959
Gallery Hours 12 noon – 5 pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Other times by appointment