The City of Newcastle Media Release: Kick off the Christmas season with Art Bazaar, other family activities in the city centre
3 December 2014
Kick off the Christmas season with Art Bazaar, other family activities in the city centre
A range of activities are being offered this Saturday 6 December in Newcastle’s city centre, from the ultimate Christmas shopping experience at Summer Art Bazaar to viewing the Asian Cup trophy in Wheeler Place to an evening strolling along Hunter Street Mall to view specially decorated holiday themed windows.
Plan a full day out with the family with plenty of time to visit the Art Bazaar as well as enjoy all the other diverse events and opportunities happening on the day.
“There are heaps of events this summer to draw the community into the city centre,” said Newcastle Lord Mayor Cr Nuatali Nelmes. “This Saturday provides the perfect opportunity for families to kick off the festive season together. Activation in the city centre and Honeysuckle precinct will be continuous from this weekend right through Christmas, New Year’s Eve, AFC Asian Cup, Australia Day, and Surfest.”
“Get ready for a fun and busy summer in Newcastle!”
Summer Art Bazaar, 10am to 9pm
Civic Park will be bursting with family-friendly activities throughout the day and into the evening on Saturday 6 December when Summer Art Bazaar kicks off a range of activities for the festive season.
The Hunter’s premier artisan and design marketplace will be bigger and better than ever with over 120 stalls featuring original handcrafted goods from 300 local artists. With a new extended time, the Art Bazaar will run from 10am to 9pm, with amazing live evening entertainment and groovy food, mood, music and art throughout the day.
Live music from 5-9pm includes:
- 5pm, Sarah Proulx, Solo Harp
- 5:30pm, ‘Akimbo’ String Quartet
- 6pm, Fish Fry
- 7:30pm, Bella Voce, accompanied by ‘Akimbo’ string quartet
- 8pm, The Adam Miller Band
Take a wander through the stalls at this free event and meet the artists and designers who transform Civic Park into your essential Christmas shopping destination with carefully crafted, unique gift items.
Each year, Summer Art Bazaar attracts 10,000 visitors to Civic Park. Presented by Hunter Arts Network in collaboration with the City of Newcastle, it has developed into a major art and entertainment event for the region and now draws many visitors from out of the area.
All day parking will be available at Hunter Parking Station, Gibson Street (next to Newcastle Permanent).
Other Saturday activities
Be sure to save time to enjoy some of the other activities and events in the city centre this Saturday 6 December:
- See and be photographed with the AFC Asian Cup trophy, which will be on display in Wheeler Place from 10am to 1:30pm—a once-in-a-life opportunity for football fans
- Enjoy a cuppa or lunch at one of the lovely coffee shops and cafes along Darby Street or the Hunter Street Mall
- Farewell Team Newcastle as they leave City Hall at 2:30pm for the International Children’s Games in Lake Macquarie
- Walk through the City in the evening to view specially decorated holiday window displays along Hunter Street Mall, Hunter Street, King Street and more