Curated by Joanna O’Toole
Hunter Arts Network members are invited to submit a proposal for The Maker’s Mark exhibition to be held at the Lovett Gallery. It will open the 27th of November 2009 and will run until the 4th January 2010.
Brief : The Maker’s Mark 2 will represent the passion and commitment that HAN members have to their areas within Arts and Craft practise in Newcastle. These artisans are dedicated to the development and refinement of their skills, and it is this individual expertise which will inspire their works. Therefore, techniques and processes are the subject of this exhibition.
The resulting exhibition will be diverse, not only due to the spectrum of mediums represented by HAN, but also the scope of each member’s interpretation. Examples of areas that could inspire exhibition pieces include tools and equipment, specific methods applied during the making, and the phases that the object or art work moves through, on its way towards completion. The intention is therefore to focus this exhibition on process driven practise.
Within the HAN membership the areas broadly represented include ceramics, glass, jewellery, textiles, printmaking, painting, and collage. Within these areas there are people using traditional methods whilst others adapt or pioneer their own techniques. The Maker’s Mark 2 will therefore draw attention to diversity of skills, push individual creative boundaries, and unify the HAN members through the love of creation. This is your opportunity to make your mark and interpret the brief towards your work.
Selection Process and Criteria:
All proposals must include the following –
- 4 good quality images of your work (photocopies will not be accepted)
- A written proposal detailing:
- How the photos relate to the pieces planned for the exhibition
- How you intend to interpret the theme of The Maker’s Mark in your pieces
- How the pieces will be displayed ie. Wall hung, in cases, occupying the space, etc.
- What the pieces will be made of, their size, and the number you plan to make
- An artist CV of artistic and craft practise including education, exhibitions, commissions, community projects, and other experience relating to your creative field.
All proposals will be assessed, by an external panel of peers, in consideration of the following criteria –
- Dedication to the member’s art or craft practise
- An individual approach to the member’s art or craft practise
- The suitability of the member’s idea/s to the aims of The Maker’s Mark
- The quality of the member’s work as indicated by the 4 images provided
- The suitability of the member’s work to the Lovett Gallery space
As we do not know how many proposals we will receive, and what sorts of pieces may be proposed, some proposals may not be selected due to space restrictions.
Submissions will close shortly – so get your proposal in as soon as possible.
Send proposals to:
HAN Members Exhibition
PO Box 569
HAN members who have submitted a proposal will be notified by the 28th of August 2009 as to whether their proposal has been successful or not. Although Hunter Arts Network is endeavouring to attract sponsors for this exhibition, those who are selected to exhibit may be asked to pay a nominal amount to go towards food and wine for the opening.
If you have any questions please phone:
Joanna O’Toole: 0413 404 255 or
Rieteka Geursen: 02 4969 2047